Thursday 11 March 2010

Pillaging of Goodwill

Have just returned from a glorious week away pillaging thrift stores down the coast of Seattle and Portland. My friend Paul has always gone on and on about how amazing the Goodwill stores in Seattle are (equivalent of The Salvation Army in Canada). I remained a tad skeptical as I regularly wade through local thrifts shops in Vancouver and find it hard to unearth items I actually love. Pilly sweaters and musky smelling polyester dresses seem to permeate the fabric of Vancouver thrifting.



My camera is sadly broken but once I post the pictures of what I bought ...... OH BOY.

The best part is that everything was $10 USD and under. Very different than the ones in London which charge at least 20-50 GBP sterling for similar items (musky smell included, hmmm).

I tried not to react as I entered the large Bellevue, WA Goodwill located just outside of Seattle. We also hit one in Portland, OR. It was packed full of people and right away I spotted a fur jacket I pounced on immediately. Sadly it was the wrong size but I went on to purchase the following:

-buttery soft leather tan saddlebag (vintage COACH!) for $10
-black leather vintage handbag with gold clasp $5.99
-black leather mini-doctor's bag with brown strap and detailing (AR said this was heinous but I BEG TO DIFFER) $5.99
-autumn colours floral skirt (the kind you find at vintage shops and Urban Outfitters) $3.99
-black lace-up flat shoes with suede detailing $6.99
-black chunky knit cardigan with colourful pattern (will wear this with a black fitted t-shirt dress) $4.99
-cream coloured fitted jacket with lace detailing $5.99 (probably my favourite purchase)
-navy scarf with little red flowers $1.99


AR purchased:
-brown herringbone blazer (made in Italy) $9.99
-black leather lace-up shoes in perfect condition $7.99
-red houndstooth scarf $2.99


OMG.  I have been strongly advised to hit the large downtown Seattle Goodwill next time I drive down there.

I love nothing more than a bargain and to own clothes that aren't readily available at every shopping mall. I do love the thrill of the hunt........and yes I do have a predilection for GRANNY CHIC.

I exercised restraint by putting back a black and white houndstooth jacket that did resemble something Barbara Bush would have worn in her twilight years.


No comments:

Post a Comment