Friday 2 July 2010

Cher Horowitz made me love knee socks

Clueless was one of my favourite movies in high school. I still can't believe that this movie was released 15 years ago! Am I really that much of a relic? It's still one of the best teen movies and one of those movies where you love watching all the outfit changes, thanks to Mona May, a costume designer who has also worked on Enchanted, The House Bunny (this was actually funny!), Never Been Kissed, The Wedding Singer and Romy and Michele's High School Reunion ("I'll have the businesswoman's special. I invented the post-it note!").





I laughed, I cried, I coveted the clothes and Alicia Silverstone's hair. I even loved that Amy Heckerling loosely based it on Jane Austen's novel, Emma. Jane Austen was another obsession in high school as I would constantly fantasize about living in Victorian England and wearing petticoats. Imagine being so demure and ladylike that proper decorum required gentlemen callers to drop in and visit you in your formal parlour, with your mother lurking of course. Oh to be courted! Now it's just a blur of fizzy drinks, $20 on the nightstand and a text (if you're lucky). I kid I kid. Usually cash is not exchanged. 

Cher Horowitz's wardrobe really encapsulated the best of 90s fashion. It bypassed the gross grunge phase (EW as Cher would say) and went all out feminine with short dresses, plaid skirts, argyle sweater vests, knee socks, headbands and baby tees. She even wears a red Azzedine Alaia dress when she gets mugged in the Valley. What's not to love? She's like a a pre-SATC high school Carrie Bradshaw without all the selfish whining about Manolo Blahniks and men. It had everything my high school self wanted in a movie - including an amazing makeover scene. I LOWE IT!















No comments:

Post a Comment