Thursday 29 July 2010

Ahoy! J.Crew is actually cool.

When I was a teenager J.Crew was the epitome of preppiness. It was pricey, country club attire that Muffy Von Beaverhausen wore to the yacht club. Creative Director Jenna Lyons has really breathed some new life into an American brand that didn't have much fashion cred before. On a recent visit I saw sequined shorts, boyfriend blazers and tribal printed scarves - stuff I would actually wear! Nowhere does this become more apparent than in J.Crew's new Fall 2010 Lookbook. Featuring Norwegian high fashion model Siri Tollerod, (who's been shot for everyone including I.D, Dazed and Confused and British Vogue), the entire lookbook makes me want to count down for winter. Where is the snowfall and frostbite??

There's an insightful article on Style.com about Jenna Lyons, who's been with the company for 20 years, about making a personal connection with her customer base. I love what she says when asked about designer collaborations with mass retailers (although I still wear my Alice Temperley for Target dress to interviews, pssssht).

"What do you think about top designers making “affordable” lines for mass retailers?
What I appreciate about it is someone like Rodarte or Proenza Schouler maybe gets more mindshare from people who might not have known who they are. But I think it’s a little flash-in-the-pan, and the quality, a lot of times, is really not great. That, to me, is for the young little fashion girl who’s obsessed with Proenza and Rodarte and who can’t afford it. For someone who just wants to look good on a day-to-day basis, it’s not a strategy for how to dress."

Back to the collection, there are some really unique pieces  including black sequin harem-lite pants, sequin black shorts, a black slouchy leather jacket, a black oversized leather bag that is very YSL-esque, a tweed blazer in a modern shape and my personal favourite - a furry black vest! MUST HAVE ALL FUR AND FURRY LOOKING BY PRODUCTS. 


And as usual, J Crew does not disappoint with their coat selection....behold some select images:


images via http://www.theglamazondiaries.com

1 comment:

  1. I love Siri and the collection! http://www.skinnygossip.com/thinspo-model-profile-siri-toller%C3%B8d/

    ReplyDelete